Saturday, June 6, 2009

An Example of Excitement

I am reading the Introduction of an Old Testament text book, and I wanted to share this one segment with you. This is a great example of why I am very excited to study in seminary:

Imagery

Although images are found throughout the Bible, they occur with more frequency and intensity in the poetic portions. Imagery contributes to the compactness of poetry, because it allows the authors to communicate their message using fewer words.

Imagery is an indirect way of speaking or writing, Unlike direct statements, an image compares something or someone with another thing or someone else. For instance, not the Song of Songs 1:9

I liken you, my darling, to a mare
harnessed to one of the chariots of Pharaoh.


In this verse the speaker draws a comparison between two things: his beloved and a mare harnessed to a chariot of Pharaoh. The difference between the two objects in comparison draws our attention and sets us thinking. The next step is to identify the comparison. In this particular case, some historical background is necessary to understand the impact of the compliment. Research makes it clear that the chariots of Egypt used stallions, not mares. The presence of a mare would sexually excite the stallions. Israel knew of a battle tactic that called for the release of a mare among the enemy's chariot horses to divert their attention.

How many of you at first glance would think that it was a more love based statement? As if to say that I follow you wherever you go, or we go together, or something of that nature? I know I did.

Powerful stuff.

1 comment:

  1. Mr. Mercenary of Christ: That is fascinating stuff! I NEVER knew mares excited stallions. And I remember having read that verse and thinking... so David is saying that his love is strong like a mare?... I guess that's... romantic.

    But now it makes so much more sense! By the way, I read your previous post on how you feel that you failed. Don't be discouraged.

    Remember Jeremiah 29:11.

    I know its found during he context of a 70-year curse of suffering for the Israelites but... most of us only live about 80 to 90 some years anyhow. So the verse can apply to us when we look at our lives as a whole. :)

    Thanks for sharing what God is teaching you. Your May 26th post about the " calling" really encouraged me. I have searching for Christian blogs for sometime now and was beginning to think there weren't any Christians in the same point of life that I'm in. God bless You and keep going!

    ReplyDelete