Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Who do you work for?

This is a pretty serious question. I think it is a question that we must all ask ourselves on a frequent basis. It is comforting when you know the answer.

I work for Jesus Christ.

That statement alone is what calms me when my firm is doing lay-offs, when I feel like I am being slighted on my evaluations, and in general thought of what is even the point of my job.

For almost a year now, my firm has been doing lay-offs on a quarterly-or-so basis. This has caused an uneasy environment with my coworkers, and with good reason. I have a few close relationships that I have built during my time at the firm. On top of the lay-offs, we also face very difficult hours. It becomes very easy to lose yourself to not only the job, but bring you down into a state of depression. In fact, I was talking to a friend at work who was nearly in tears the other day, and doesn't know what to do anymore. This all is not specific to my firm, but it is an impact that the current economic recession has reduced many of us to this lower state of mind.

So today, I asked her how she was doing. After the initial conversation pleasantries, I asked her who she worked for. Being a Christian, she responded that she physically works for the firm, but she spiritually works for Jesus Christ. An interesting statement! You see, I think she was half right. She does work for Jesus Christ on a spiritual level, but I do not think that the physical and spiritual employers differ.

For those of you that are working in Corporate America who think that your job is not serving Christ, you are grossly mistaken. In talking with my dad a few days ago, he explained to me that there are 3 levels of security in missions: 1) I'm a missionary, let's talk about Christ, 2) Yes, I am a missionary, but let's not make a big deal out of it, and 3) I am hear to study the language, but I am not very good at it, and it is taking me 20 years to do so. In a sense, you are all missionaries as well, and I would venture to say you are in a Level II security area. Your place of business does not necessarily care that you are Christians, but you definitely do not get to make a big fuss out of it.

You work for Christ both physically and spiritually, and I am telling you that it is in fact your very lifestyle and how you handle the stress and punches you receive at work that tell the world about Jesus. This form of lifestyle evangelism that I have been talking about on my blog is your job. Given the current economic state, the stage has been set for us. We have an amazing opportunity to shine like the moon and reflect the Son. It is easy to be positive and happy when times are good, but now is the time for us to really be an example.

The next time you are feeling frustrated and feel that things are not going your way, ask yourself who you work for. If you are serving Jesus, then you should embrace whatever outcome occurs, because by living in Christ, you are subjecting yourself to God's will. If we can somehow reduce everything to that level, then tomorrow is not going to be a bad day, but a day you will love the Lord, be comforted by the Lord, and be taken care of by the Lord.

2 comments:

  1. Everyone was called in the Great Commission. The workplace is an awesome place to serve Him and develop relationships that turn into discipling. Great post James;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen brother! We work for The Employer, who is The Greatest Provider! Great post...this is something that I've been trying to do too: Work unto the Lord. Thanks for the insight brother, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete