Saturday, July 4, 2009

Battle Hymn of the Republic

This is one of my favorite songs to sing in church. As our country celebrates independence from tyranny and oppression, we too can celebrate our freedom from the chains and bondage of sin. We had an amazing day today. A few families came over and we spent the entire day together, eating amazing food, and just having a great time. I can not think of a better way to spend a day. There were so many times that I found myself looking around at everyone at various times and just thinking to myself that this is what life is all about.!

Mine eyes have seen the glory
Of the coming of the Lord
He is trampling out the vintage
Where the grapes of wrath are stored
He has loosed the fateful lightening
Of His terrible swift sword
His truth is marching on

I have seen him in the watch-fires
Of a hundred circling camps
They have builded him an altar
In the evening dews and damps
I can read his righteous sentence
By the dim and flaring lamps
His day is marching on

I have read a fiery gospel
Writ in burnish`d rows of steel
As ye deal with my contempters
So with you my grace shall deal
Let the hero, born of woman
Crush the serpent with his heel
Since my God is marching on

He has sounded forth the trumpet
That shall never call retreat
He is sifting out the hearts of men
Before His judgment-seat
Oh, be swift, my soul
To answer him be jubilant, my feet
Our God is marching on

Glory, glory, hallelujah
Glory, glory, hallelujah
Glory, glory, hallelujah
His truth is marching on

2 comments:

  1. A very blessed day for sure.....next year will not be the same for us:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. James,
    We had a great time too. Thanks for opening your home. --loved the fellowship and the many rich conversations.
    I am amazed that you can work in that pressure pot and still sign up for seminary. Are you crazy? No, you're just a guy who can get by on 5 hrs of sleep a night. ha! God has certainly gifted you. I am praying that His favor be on you these coming years.

    ReplyDelete