Sunday, August 23, 2009

Correct Discussion Topic!

I obviously wasn't paying attention when I posted previously. We actually were given a topic!

Here is my "on topic" discussions.

The Martyrdom of Polycarp portrays, in a very extreme way, the values that we as Christians should have at the forefront of all of our thoughts. Christ died for me, and I have been commanded to go into the world to tell others about his name. This text takes it to the point of laying one's life down in order to save another.

What bothers me about Polycarp is the parallel that is drawn. Polycarp went away to pray at a home, Jesus prayed in a garden. The people were astonished with Polycarp's docile submission to the authorities for God's will, while Jesus equally embraced it under the terms of God's will. Polycarp was placed on a mule to enter into the city, and of course, Jesus did the same (granted the timeline is different). It then eventually goes into the part where Polycarp's allegiance was brought into question, whereas the same situation occurred for Christ being God himself.

This thought process leads me to the idea of if I am to be like Christ, am I to die like him? I'd have to say this is a terrible concept! James and Polycarp are just mere men. It also implies that Peter in denying Christ, escaping from prisons like the other apostles, and many other events were not correct. Had this occurred, we would not have the writings we have today! In death, Peter would have been somewhat worthless to the church.

To hold a martyr up above our shoulders, in my humble opinion, is to hold the wrong person up. Due to the grace of God, we do not have to die for our sins. As such, to seek glory, albeit in the name of God, seems to be rather self-righteous. It is definitely clear why this would be a non-canonical text. After reading, I walk away with the feeling that the writing was more about the greatness and praise of Polycarp. This is unlike when I read about Paul, for instance, who clearly points out that he is just a sinner who's only redeeming factor is that he is saved by grace through Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment