Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Week That Saved Our Lives

I sit and think about the week I have ahead on this beautiful Sunday afternoon. My day has consisted of church, cleaning the pool, cleaning the house, and doing laundry. When I think about my week, I start creating a list of things that have to get done: 1) complete a subsidiary audit so we can issue our opinion, work on planning for the 2010 audit, and general preparation for our Q1 Review of the client's financials. In general, not much going on within this standard week.

I start to think about what was happening near or around this day about 2,000 years ago (yes, closer to 1,980). Our Lord, Jesus Christ, would probably have been praying with this disciples. He would have been teaching them. He would have been loving them. To the disciples, this would have been just any other Sunday. However, to our Lord, the end was coming. He would soon be preparing for his arrival to Jerusalem, preparing for his betrayal by man, and preparing for his death.

This week marks the greatest week of our own lives. It is because of the passion of our Lord that we no longer fear death. We will no longer face the wrath of God, because that wrath was satisfied by the sacrifice of his son. When people ask me crazy questions that begin with phrases such as, "If God is so loving..." or "If God was so great...", I think to myself that there is no question how loving our God is all of us. I'm yet to be married or with children, but I know that the idea of giving the world my son to sacrifice isn't an option. I would go down swinging like Peter in protection of him. I can not even wrap my mind around the depth of the sacrifice that our God and Lord Jesus Christ made during this week.

My Lord, my prayer to you is that eyes are opened this week. I pray that those actions and addictions that we we should be refraining from are put into perspective this week. If your son could go through a terrible death for the sake of our salvation, how could we possibly continue to disobey you. Father, we love you and are forever greatful for your mercy and compassion.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful post James....great message...I need to remember this when I am whining about learning Spanish. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete