Sunday, March 21, 2010

Radical Christian Sacrifice

There are many things I have been struggling with as of lately, and I think they all could be solved if I were to do what I was supposed to be doing (obviously).

1) Salary

Last week, I got into an aweful state of mind regarding our salaries. In summary, I found out that my level in the firm was "worth" a certain amount more, and I was filled with greed an envy. God quickly reminded me that my mortgage is paid for, I am clothed, and I eat. What more could I possibly need?

2) Entertainment

For whatever reason, I find myself addicted to entertainment. I have to have a movie on to fall asleep at night. When I am home, I have been watching movies and TV. In the car, I have the radio on. What would live be like if instead I turned the television off and prayed? I am not doing myself any favors by filling my mind with the images of TV. TV and movies will tell me I need more money, I need sex and alcohol, and depending on the channel, the new Tampax (unrelated, but seriously, they tell me I need this all the time and I don't know why).

3) Stuff

I typically want to add "stuff" to my house. New countertops in the bathroom, flowers outside by the pool, clothes, sport coats, more shoes, etc. I have everything I need! Why am I still living with this desire to build up so much worldy "stuff".

I feel I am still living a double life.

Yes, I have surrendered my life to Christ.
Yes, by grace alone, I have been given everything I will ever need.
Yes, I know what I am supposed to do.
Yes, I continue to pray the prayer of repentence, but getting tired of apologizing and asking for forgiveness for the SAME STUFF OVER AND OVER AGAIN.
Yes, we have the ability to do what we are supposed to do.

While the old me is supposed to have been dead and gone away, why am I still fighting him?

I have been watching videos of John Piper quite a bit lately. I wanted to share this video regarding Radical Christian Sacrifice. I am sure many of you have seen it, but if you have not, please click the link below.

John Piper - Radical Christian Sacrifice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZUQA-4icSk

-MOC

2 comments:

  1. I struggled with entertainment too. The verse that finally got me was Psalm 101:3 "I will not set before my eyes anything that is worthless..." God led my husband and I to get rid of our TV last year and I tell you what, it was the best decision we've ever made. We have found ourselves praying more, reading more, and listening to Christian radio programs and sermons more. Not only that, it has been a great testimony and witness to the world around us. Keep up the fight against the flesh brother!

    In Christ, Courtney

    PS. That's my favorite video from Piper. It convicts and motivates me every time I watch it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think most people battle this.....so don't be too hard on yourself. The thing is since you ARE aware...you can change it with the conviction of the Holy Spirit. We are so proud of you.
    P.S. It is okay to want to better your home in my opinion. Some of it can really change the value for the better.

    ReplyDelete